Kyle Busch Daytona Crash Results Leg Injury – Will Not Run Daytona 500
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. — NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver Kyle Busch Daytona Crash causes driver to miss Sunday’s season-opening Daytona 500. Kyle Busch suffered a leg injury during a hard crash Saturday at Daytona International Speedway.
Watch the video of the Kyle Busch Daytona crash below.
UPDATE: Click here to read about the Kyle Busch replacement driver for the Daytona 500.
UPDATE: Daytona International Speedway installing safer barriers tonight. Click here to read the statement from Daytona International Speedway ahead of tomorrow’s Daytona 500 event.
Busch was being treated for a compound fracture of the right lower leg and a mid-foot fracture, and would not compete in the season’s biggest event. Busch underwent surgery on his right leg on Saturday night, according to Joe Gibbs Racing.
Busch’s injuries will “sideline him for an undetermined period of time,” according to the team. Matt Crafton will serve as the interim driver for Busch’s No. 18 Toyota for the Daytona 500. An interim driver has not been determined for any races beyond the Daytona 500 at this time.
Busch’s No. 54 Toyota slid across the track and struck the interior wall on Lap 112 of the season-opening NASCAR XFINITY Series event, the Alert Today Florida 300.
Busch appeared to begin to climb from his car without assistance, but was placed on a stretcher by emergency personnel shortly after being helped from the car.
Busch was transported to nearby Halifax Medical Center moments later.
Samantha Busch and team owner Joe Gibbs, along with other team personnel arrived at the track’s infield care center on foot, and then boarded golf carts to depart for the hospital.
Busch, 29, was expected to scale back his racing activities in the XFINITY and Camping World Truck Series this season. He is the XFINITY series’ all-time win leader with 70 career victories; he has 42 wins in the NCWTS.
Busch was scheduled to start fourth in Sunday’s Daytona 500, the season-opening race for the Sprint Cup Series.
The accident took place when there appeared to be contact between Busch and fellow JGR driver Erik Jones. Busch’s entry slid across the grass apron just beyond the exit of pit road and slammed the inside wall nose first. There is no SAFER barrier in that location on the 2.5-mile track.
In addition to Busch and Jones, J.J. Yeley, Brendan Gaughan, Chase Elliott, Brian Scott, Elliott Sadler, Darrell Wallace Jr., Cale Conley and Jeffrey Earnhardt were caught up in the accident.
“Kyle Busch got hurt? I didn’t know that,” said third-place finisher Ty Dillon.
“I don’t want to say anything wrong. But I think we’re to the point now in NASCAR we should have SAFER barriers at a place like this, we’re going so fast. I think we could probably afford it.
“I hate to hear anybody in our sport getting hurt. We’ve advanced so far in safety we shouldn’t be having any crazy bad injuries.
“So I hope he’s all right. But, yeah, I know if it was me, I would want a SAFER barrier there if I got hurt in a spot.”
“We keep running into situations where people find spots that aren’t thought of before,” said runner-up Chris Buescher.
“I think the sport has progressed so far in the safety aspect. We started to take it for granted. But just there’s really no room to do that. My opinion, I mean, it needs to be as safe as possible. If that means lining the inside walls as well, it’s probably a good idea.
Roush Fenway Racing’s Ryan Reed won the race to score his first win in the series.