Kurt Busch to drive the Monster Energy #1
Kurt Busch signed to a 1-year deal and it’s expected to be his final year in the sport
Five years ago, Gene Haas signed Kurt Busch to Stewart-Haas Racing. It came as a surprise to co-owner Tony Stewart. But, Gene Haas built the addition building space and Haas Automation became the co-primary sponsor.
“We’re finally taping into the pocket book of Gene Haas,” Tony Stewart stated five years ago when he heard the surprise announcement.
Kurt Busch signed a renewal late in the silly season at the start of the 2018 NASCAR Cup Series season. That deal was only a one-year deal.
On Sunday night, Kurt Busch posted the following message to twitter announcing his departure from Stewart-Haas Racing:
I would like to thank Stewart-Haas Racing for 5 fantastic years driving the #41. I will miss everyone, especially the crew chiefs I worked with, Daniel Knost, Tony Gibson & Billy Scott, love you guys.”
“The stats add up… 6 wins, 11 poles, 37 top 5’s, 90 top 10’s and more than 1,900 laps led. Unfortunately, it’s not in the cards for me to stay. I’m looking forward to the future & new opportunities ahead!”
Chip Ganassi Racing announces Kurt Busch as MENCS driver
Today Chip Ganassi Racing (CGR) announced a partnership with Monster Energy, for the 2019 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series (MENCS) season. Monster Energy will be a primary sponsor on the No. 1 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 to be driven by 2004 MENCS Champion Kurt Busch. Busch will compete in his 20th season in the MENCS during the 2019 campaign.
Monster Energy became the title sponsor of NASCAR’s top series, starting with the 2017 season, renaming it to the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series. Monster Energy has also been a staple in the action sports world sponsoring many athletes, sporting events in addition to musical acts and events.
NOTES OF INTEREST:
· A Monster Lifestyle: Refusing to acknowledge the traditional, Monster Energy supports the scene and sport. Whether motocross, off-road, NASCAR, MMA, BMX, surf, snowboard, ski, skateboard, or the rock and roll lifestyle, Monster Energy is a brand that believes in authenticity and the core of what its sports, athletes and musicians represent. More than a drink, it’s the way of life lived by athletes, sports, bands, believers and fans.
· A Monster Career: Kurt Busch is an accomplished veteran in the MENCS, both as a race winner (30) and a series champion (2004). He has also won marquee MENCS events such as the Daytona 500 (2017) the Coca-Cola 600 (2010) and the NASCAR All-Star Race (2010). His racing resume highlights also include four victories in the NASCAR Camping World Series (NCWTS), runner-up finish in the NCWTS point standings in his first full-time year of competition in 2000, five wins in the NASCAR Xfinity Series (NXS), two starts in the Rolex 24 At Daytona (2005, 2008) and one start in the Indianapolis 500 (2014). He also boasts championships in the 2003 International Race of Champions (IROC) and the 1999 NASCAR Featherlite Southwest Series
· Man of Many Talents: Busch has not only won a race on every type of track that the series competes on, (superspeedway, intermediate, short-track and road course), he has also claimed a pole on each type of track, in addition to being named the 2018 MENCS Busch Pole Award winner for the most pole awards on the season, at five.
Kurt Busch Announcement – Quote board:
• Mitch Covington, Vice President of Sports Marketing, Monster Beverage Company: “Monster is super happy to get onboard with Chip Ganassi Racing and Kurt Busch. Kurt has been a Monster Energy athlete for several years now and we were glad to see him team up with another strong team. I believe Kurt and the team will win a lot of races and we will have a lot of fun.”
• Chip Ganassi, Owner, Chip Ganassi Racing: “We have had the good fortune of having a lot of great drivers here at Chip Ganassi Racing across all forms of racing and Kurt Busch adds to that list of great drivers. He is a former NASCAR Cup Series champion and Daytona 500 winner and I believe still has a burning desire to win races and compete for a championship. In addition, getting to work with and represent a brand like Monster Energy makes it even that much more exciting.”
• Kurt Busch, Driver, No. 1 Monster Energy Chevrolet Camaro ZL1: “I am tremendously proud to be joining Chip Ganassi Racing and the prestigious group of alumni. Along with Monster Energy, winning races and competing at the highest level, it’s what we are all about. Ganassi’s forward thinking approach is why I have decided to commit all my years of Monster Energy Cup experience to CGR. Let’s win, let’s have fun!”
• Kyle Larson, Driver, No. 42 Monster Energy Chevrolet Camaro ZL1: “Excited to have Kurt Busch as a teammate. I’ve always believed he’s one of the most talented drivers on this planet. Going to be fun!”