Indy 500 Practice Speeds – Day 4 – May 18, 2017
Indy 500 Practice Times from May 18, 2017 – Day 4 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway
INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana – As Day 4 of practice for the 101st Indianapolis 500 presented by PennGrade Motor Oil gets underway, teams are looking to make up for lost track time from a gusty Wednesday.
View full Indy 500 practice times below.
Winds peaking at 47 mph limited on-track action to just 408 laps among 21 cars on the third day of practice, with Ed Carpenter (No. 20 Fuzzy’s Ed Carpenter Racing Chevrolet) leading the way at 222.894 mph. Today’s forecast calls for calmer winds, sun and temperatures in the low-80s, which should make for a more action-packed day on the famed 2.5-mile oval.
Practice runs from noon-6 p.m. ET and is streaming live on RaceControl.IndyCar.com. With a 50 percent chance of rain Friday, look for teams to begin trim their cars out for simulated qualifying runs today.
Dreyer & Reinbold Racing’s Sage Karam (No. 24 Mecum Auctions Chevrolet) did not post any laps at speed on Wednesday, but was back on it within minutes of the green flag today. On his second lap of the day, the 2013 Indy Lights champion turned in a lap of 225.185 mph, the fastest lap since Monday afternoon and the third-fastest of the month to date.
Related: Sage Karam Indy 500 Return
Soon thereafter, Schmidt Peterson Motorsports’ Jay Howard (No. 77 Lucas Oil/Team One Cure Honda) bested Karam with a lap of 226.744 mph, marking the fastest lap of the month thus far. Howard is driving a third entry for SPM this month, with support from the Tony Stewart Foundation in the form of Team One Cure, a partnership between the foundation and the Colorado State University Flint Animal Cancer Center, a facility dedicated to developing cutting-edge cancer treatments for people and pets.
Indiana Pacers’ coaching staff get up close and personal with INDYCAR
Members of the NBA’s Indiana Pacers coaching staff are on hand today at Indianapolis Motor Speedway and spent part of their morning visiting the Andretti Autosport garages. For head coach Nate McMillan, it was his first chance to see the inner workings of an INDYCAR operation in person.
“I have never been (here),” McMillan said, “and I’m just amazed at what all goes into practicing for the race and to see these cars and to just listen to the power and see the power of these cars. Amazing, amazing.”
McMillan, assistant coaches Popeye Jones, Dan Burke and other members of the Pacers staff met with Michael Shank Racing with Andretti Autosport, where driver Jack Harvey and team owner Mike Shank spoke about their preparations for “The Greatest Spectacle in Racing.” Reigning Indianapolis 500 winner Alexander Rossi met with the group as well.
“We were just sitting over there talking with (Rossi, Harvey and Shank) and the things they have to prepare for,” McMillan said. “They talked about the film sessions that they go through. It’s all about team. It’s not just about the driver, it’s certainly about the pit crew, ownership, just like the NBA.”
Newgarden crashes in Turns 1 and 2
The first on-track incident in three days occurred at 1:10 p.m. when Josef Newgarden lost control of his No. 2 hum by Verizon Team Penske Chevrolet exiting Turn 1 (shown above), made contact with the SAFER Barrier and slid into Turn 2, where he again made light contact with the outside wall.
Newgarden climbed from the car unassisted and was taken to the IU Health Emergency Medical Center in the track infield for further observation. Newgarden was checked, released and cleared to drive.
“I’m fine,” Newgarden said. “Tough break for us in the (No.) 2 car with Team Penske. It’s obviously not something you want to do, especially on a day like today – a pretty nice day out, no big issues. I’m disappointed that we ran into a problem.
“I just got called into the pits, so I was coming in and I didn’t want to check up too much for the guys behind me and cause a problem. It just seemed to get away from me. Until I get to look at everything, I’m not 100 percent sure what caused it. We were having a really good day.”
Watch video of the incident below.
Indy 500 Practice Speeds
1. Jay Howard GBR Schmidt Peterson Dallara-Honda 226.744 mph
2. Ryan Hunter-Reay USA Andretti Autosport Dallara-Honda 225.826 mph
3. Marco Andretti USA Andretti Autosport Dallara-Honda 225.709 mph
4. Fernando Alonso ESP McLaren-Honda Andretti Dallara-Honda 225.619 mph
5. Josef Newgarden USA Team Penske Dallara-Chevrolet 225.455 mph
6. Sage Karam USA Dreyer & Reinbold Racing Dallara-Chevrolet 225.185 mph
7. Charlie Kimball USA Chip Ganassi Racing Dallara-Honda 225.141 mph
8. Oriol Servia ESP Rahal Letterman Lanigan Dallara-Honda 224.837 mph
9. Takuma Sato JPN Andretti Autosport Dallara-Honda 224.771 mph
10. Sebastien Bourdais FRA Dale Coyne Racing Dallara-Honda 224.725 mph
11. Mikhail Aleshin RUS Schmidt Peterson Dallara-Honda 224.611 mph
12. Will Power AUS Team Penske Dallara-Chevrolet 224.563 mph
13. Alexander Rossi USA Andretti Herta Dallara-Honda 224.503 mph
14. Juan Pablo Montoya COL Team Penske Dallara-Chevrolet 224.471 mph
15. Helio Castroneves BRA Team Penske Dallara-Chevrolet < b>224.407 mph
16. Scott Dixon NZL Chip Ganassi Racing Dallara-Honda 224.388 mph
17. Graham Rahal USA Rahal Letterman Lanigan Dallara-Honda 224.351 mph
18. Ed Jones UAE Dale Coyne Racing Dallara-Honda 224.331 mph
19. Carlos Munoz COL A.J. Foyt Enterprises Dallara-Chevrolet 224.291 mph
20. Ed Carpenter USA Ed Carpenter Racing Dallara-Chevrolet 224.051 mph
21. Max Chilton GBR Chip Ganassi Racing Dallara-Honda 223.783 mph
22. JR Hildebrand USA Ed Carpenter Racing Dallara-Chevrolet 223.610 mph
23. Simon Pagenaud FRA Team Penske Dallara-Chevrolet 223.440 mph
24. Tony Kanaan BRA Chip Ganassi Racing Dallara-Honda 223.123 mph
25. Pippa Mann GBR Dale Coyne Racing Dallara-Honda 223.048 mph
26. James Hinchcliffe CAN Schmidt Peterson Dallara-Honda 222.670 mph
27. Conor Daly USA A.J. Foyt Enterprises Dallara-Chevrolet 222.620 mph
28. Zach Veach USA A.J. Foyt Enterprises Dallara-Chevrolet 222.463 mph
29. Jack Harvey GBR Michael Shank Racing Dallara-Honda 221.279 mph
30. Gabby Chaves COL Harding Racing Dallara-Chevrolet 220.366 mph
31. Spencer Pigot AUS Juncos Racing Dallara-Chevrolet 220.204 mph
32. Sebastian Saavedra COL Juncos Racing Dallara-Chevrolet 219.560 mph
33. Buddy Lazier USA Lazier Partners Racing Dallara-Honda 8.494 mph